If you enjoy a touch of Indian spice, you will luv these authentic tasting and versatile chickpea flatbreads. They have so much flavour, they’re good enough to eat straight from the pan! Enjoy them as a healthy snack, or team with a curry, chutney or yogurt raita.
Chickpea flour is full of healthy plant-based protein and is naturally gluten-free. While you can buy chickpea flour from the store you can very quickly make your own starting with whole chickpeas in the Vibe Blender and be guaranteed a fresher tasting flour.
There are few flatbreads easier than this chickpea crepe recipe. No pre-soaking, rolling, or kneading required. The Vibe, high-speed blender takes all the hard work out of prepping meals and ensures the batter is ever so fine and smooth. The most time-consuming part is cooking them.
The basic crepe batter is full of flavour but for extra texture and flavour we added some chopped purple onion and fresh coriander and a sprinkle of cumin seeds while they were cooking. Feel free to experiment.
Makes: 5-6 crepes. Multiply the ingredients for more batter.
1 cup of water
1 garlic clove
1 cup chickpea flour (besan flour)
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)
Coconut oil or ghee - for cooking
Small handful of chopped coriander
¼ cup purple onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1. Add all the ingredients to your Vibe blender jug in the order listed.
2. Secure the lid on then blend on ‘smoothie’ mode to 30 seconds.
3. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes to thicken up slightly.
4. While the batter is resting, prepare the toppings.
5. Heat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan to medium heat.
6. Use approx. half a teaspoon of oil to coat the pan
7. Pour a portion of the batter into the centre of the pan then quickly swirl the pan until you have a thin covering. Thinner crepes that develop crispy edges are best. TIP: You may even like to use a crepe batter trowel to guide the batter into shape.
8. Sprinkle the extras onto the batter. Press down with a spatula so the onion, seeds or coriander stick into the batter while it cooks.
9. Leave to cook for approx. 2 minutes or until the underside is golden in colour and is crisp in places.
10. Gently flip the crepe with a spatula and cook for about 1 minute more.
11. Transfer the crepe to a plate.
12. Repeat this process with the remaining batter.
13. The crepes are best eaten immediately while still warm.
14. Stored refrigerated in a sealed container for 5 days or freeze for several months. Reheat in the oven.