Traditional Lamingtons are little square sponge cakes coated in chocolate and rolled in coconut. They’re a much loved Australian treat but often considered too fiddly to make at home. This cupcake version might not look like the real deal, but they allow you to enjoy vanilla cake, chocolate and coconut without the work.
We’ve switched out the wheat, sugar and dairy for more nutritious ingredients and made them Paleo. The right combination of a trio of gluten and grain-free flours mixed just right delivers the perfect cupcake. A mix of homemade almond flour, homemade coconut flour and tapioca flour produces a heavenly sponge texture that even non-paleo peeps are sure to luv.
Nothing could be easier than tossing everything into a blender jug all at once! So quick, so simple and no mess. Whisking cake batter in the Vibe blender System makes non-traditional baking ingredients finer and more aerated.
Creating a Paleo version gave us the excuse to go nuts on everything coconut. In addition to coconut flour, we’ve used coconut milk, coconut oil and coconut sugar. The pairing of chocolate and coconut is well appreciated in the Luvele kitchen. If you fall for this simplified take on the famous Lamington in cupcake form, be sure to check out our bounty bars and deconstructed chocolate and coconut tiramisu.
Makes: 10 large cupcakes
½ cup coconut milk
¼ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 cups of almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil melted
Chocolate & Coconut Frosting
¾ coconut milk
1/3 cup coconut oil
½ cup cacao powder
1/3 - ½ cup coconut sugar
Shredded or desiccated coconut for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C / 320 °F
2. Line a muffin tray with patty pans
3. Add all the cupcake batter ingredients into the clear Vibe Blender jug in the order listed.
4. Secure the lid on, then blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for approx. 40 seconds or until you have a smooth batter.
5. Pour the batter into the cases, three quarters full
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes
7. Remove from the oven. Transfer to a cooling rack
8. To make the frosting – add the ingredients into the clear Vibe Blender jug in the order listed.
9. Blend on ‘smoothie’ mode until smooth and glossy. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender jug.
10. After blending the frosting will be quite runny.
11. Pour the frosting into a piping bag and place into the fridge for 20 minutes to thicken. Don’t leave it in there too long though because it will set too firm to pipe.
12. Pipe onto the cupcakes and then sprinkle with coconut.
13. Store the cupcakes in a sealed container in a cool place or refrigerator for up to 6 days.